Sergey A. Ovеsnov
15 Bukireva, Perm 614990, Russia
Perm State University
Faculty of Biology
Department of Botany and Genetics of Plants
Phone, Fax, e-mail
Date of Birth
1974 – Perm State University, Faculty of Biology, Department of Morphology and Systematisation of Plants.
Academic Degrees and Titles
1983 – Candidate of Biology, V.I. Lenin Moscow State Pedagogical Institute.
1991 – Reader.
1998 – Doctor of Biology, V.L. Komarov Saint-Petersburg Botanical Institute, the Russian Academy of Sciences.
2000 – Professor.
Stages of Professional Career
1974-1975 – Junior Research Fellow, Natural Science Institute, Perm State University.
1975-1988 – Assistant Lecturer, Perm State University.
1988-1990 – Senior Lecturer, Perm State University.
1990-1999 – Reader, Perm State University.
1999 – Professor, Perm State University.
2002 – present time – Head of Department of Botany and Genetics of Plants, Perm State University.
Membership in Scientific Councils and other State and Public Associations
Member of Scientific Council of the Faculty of Biology, Perm State University.
Member of Russian Botanical Society, Chairman of the Perm Branch of the Russian Botanical Society.
Member of Dissertation Council D 212.189.02, Perm State University.
Management of Research Projects
1993 – Grant of the Soros Foundation “The Kungur forest-steppe flora”.
1994-1995 – Grant “Universities of Russia” “Biological diversity of the Perm Region plants”.
Participation in International Projects
1. 2007-2009 – Project of the 6th Framework Programme of the Commission of the European Communities “Land Use Modeling – Interactive Electronic Instrument for CIA (e-LUP)”.
2. 2006 – present time – participation in the International Project “Atlas Florae Europeae” aimed at mapping of type habitats in the territory of Europe. University of Helsinki, Finland.
Current Research Activities
Investigation of species composition of vascular plants in various geographical regions, municipalities and Special Protected Natural Areas of the Perm Region. Assessment monitoring of local populations of rare and vanishing plants. Systematic analysis of “problem” and insufficiently explored vascular plant taxons (genera and families) of the Perm Region. development of electronic edition (DVD) of the illustrated identification guide of the Perm Region plants (2nd Edition, revised and enlarged).
Academic and other Awards
2002 – Perm Region V.V. Prokoshev First Degree Prize in the sphere of Biology and Agricultural Sciences.
2006 – “Honorary Scientist of the Russian Federation”.
2009 – Jubilee Medal of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation “The 100th Anniversary of Cynological Departments of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation”.
Total Number of Publications – 146
Scientific articles – 62.
Monographs – 14
Textbooks (Study Guides) – 5.
1. Ovеsnov S.A. Practices of Kendall's rank correlation coefficient use for the comparative analysis of systematic structure of plain floras // Theoretical and Methodological Issues of Comparative Floristics. Leningrad: Science, 1987. pp. 196 – 199. (In Russian)
2. Ovеsnov S.A., Moskvina N.V. Anemone dichotoma (Ranunculaceae) in the Perm Cis-Urals Region // Russian Botanical Journal. 1988. Vol. 73, № 8. pp. 1205 – 1206. (In Russian)
3. Geographical and botanical regionalisation of the Nonblack Soil Zone of European Russia / V.D. Aleksandrova, T.I. Isachenko, S.A. Ovеsnov et al. Leningrad: Science, 1989. 64 p.
4. Ovеsnov S.A., Kozminykh T.V. On the findings of Sanicula giraldii (Apiaceae) in the Perm Region // Russian Botanical Journal. 1993. Vol. 78, № 7. pp. 85 - 87. (In Russian)
5. Ovеsnov S.A. Floristic findings in the Perm Region // Russian Botanical Journal. 1997. Vol. 82, № 11. pp. 91-97. (In Russian)
6. Ovеsnov S.A. Description of the Perm Region flora. Perm: Perm State University publishing house, 1997. 252 p.
7. Kamelin R.V., Ovеsnov S.A., Shilova S.I. Nemoral elements in the Urals and Siberia floras. Perm: Perm State University publishing house, 1999. 83 p.
8. Ovеsnov S.A. Towards the floristic regionalisation of the Eastern Part of European Russia // Perm University Herald. Series “Biology”. 2007. Iss. 5 (10). pp. 15 – 19. (In Russian)
9. Illustrated identification guide of the Perm Region plants // S.A. Ovеsnov, E.G. Efimik, T.V. Kozminykh et al.; ed. by S.A. Ovеsnov. Perm: Book world, 2007. 743 p.