Irina B. Ivshina
15 Bukireva, Perm 614990, Russia
Perm State University
Faculty of Biological Sciences
Department of Microbiology and Immunology
Tel., fax, e-mail
Date of Birth
Faculty of Biological Sciences, Specialization “Biology”, Perm State University, 1971.
Post-graduate study, Department of Ecology and Genetics of Microorganisms, Institute of Ecology of Plants and Animals,Ural Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Sverdlovsk, 1982.
Academic Degrees and Titles
Candidate of Biology, D.K. Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1982.
Doctor of Biology, Chelyabinsk State Medical Academy, 1997.
Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Microbiology and Biotechnology), 2003.
Junior Research Fellow, Natural-Science Institute of Perm State University. 1972-1975.
Junior Research Fellow, Institute of Ecology and Genetics of Microorganisms, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 1975-1983.
Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Ecology and Genetics of Microorganisms, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 1983-1988.
Head of Laboratory of Alkanotrophic Microorganisms, Institute of Ecology and Genetics of Microorganisms, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 1988 to present day.
Reader, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Perm State University, 1996-1998.
Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Perm State University. 1998 to present day.
Membership in Scientific Councils and other State and Public Associations
A member of
• United Scientific Council on Biological Sciences, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
• Presidium of Perm Scientific Centre, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
• Scientific Council at the Institute of Ecology and Genetics of Microorganisms, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
• Dissertation Council DM 004.019.01 awarding Doctor degrees at the Institute of Ecology and Genetics of Microorganisms, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
• Scientific Council at Perm State University,
• Scientific Council at the Faculty of Biological Sciences, Perm State University,
• International Editorial Board of the “Russian Journal of Biomechanics”,
• Editorial Board of the journal “Proceedings of Kazan State University”. Series: Natural Sciences,
• Editorial Board of the journal “Perm University Herald”. Series: Biology,
• Expert Group on development and implementation of nationally significant innovation projects at the regional level within the strategic development of science and innovations in the Russian Federation till 2015,
Vice-President of Interregional Microbiological Society.
Chairperson of Perm Microbiological Society.
Member of World Federation for Culture Collections (WFCC).
Management of Research Projects
1. The Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) № 01-04-964661-r_a. “Regional Specialized Collection of Microbial Resources and its Biotechnical Potential for the Needs of Ecology and Industry of the Perm Krai”. 2001-2003.
2. RFBR № 04-04-96057-r_а. “Oxidative Biodegradation of Unusable Drugs by Actinobacteria of the Genus Rhodococcus”. 2001-2004.
3. RFBR № 04-04-97518-r_offi. “Development of a Biosurfactant-Based Complex Biotechnology for Remediation of Oil-Contaminated Soils in the Urals Territory”. 2004-2006.
4. RFBR № 07-04-96038-r_ural_a. “Bioconversion of Unsound Drugs Using Immobilized Rhodococcus Cells”. 2007-2009.
5. Federal Target S&T Programme “Research and Development in Priority Fields of S&T of civilian designation”. Subprogramme: “Biological Diversity”. Programme: “Collections of Living Cultures”. 1999-2001.
6. Regional complex scientific and technical programme “A Scientific and Economic Basis for Structural Reconstruction of Economy in the Ural Region with Priority Solutions of Social and Ecological Issues - URAL”. 1999-2000.
7. Federal Target Programme “State Support for Integration of Higher Education and Fundamental Science within 1997-2000”. (Federal Target Programme “Integration”). Trend: 1-5. “Support for Education and Probation Period of Most Gifted Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students at Top-Level Scientific Centres”. 2000-2000, 2002-2006.
8. A government contract to carry out research work within the priority programme of scientific and technical progress “New Trends in Biotechnology and Biosafety”. Customer: Ministry of Industry and Science of the Russian Federation. The contractual work was carried out in accordance with the decision of the Tender Committee on budgetary funds expenditure for basic research and advanced developments. 2000-2003.
9. Programme for Basic Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences Presidium. Priority field “Scientific Principles for Biodiversity Conservation in Russia”. Trend 7. “Development of Genetic Basis for Biodiversity Conservation”. 2003-2004.
10. Programme for Basic Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences Presidium. “Biodiversity and Genetics of Gene Pools”. 2006-2007.
11. Special-purpose programme supporting interdisciplinary projects carried out in collaboration with scientists from Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Subject: “Scientific Grounds for Intensification of Natural Wash-Out Processes of Oil-Contaminated Environments Using Rhodococcus Biosurfactants”. 2003-2005.
12. Special-purpose programme to support interdisciplinary projects carried out jointly with scientists from both Siberian and the Far-East Branches of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Subject: “Development of Scientific Grounds for Bioremediation of Oil-Contaminated Territories in Temperate and Frigid Climates”. 2006-2007.
13. Special-purpose programme supporting interdisciplinary projects carried out at the Ural Branch of RAS in collaboration with scientists from both Siberian and the Far-East Branches of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Subject: “Scientific Substantiation for Intensification of Natural Wash-Out Processes of Oil-Contaminated Environments Using Biogenic Surfactants”. 2006-2008.
14. Federal Target Programme “Research and Development in Priority Fields of S&T Complex in Russia for 2007-2012”. Priority field: “Living Systems”. Lot 1. Special-purpose research and development of a scientific and technical reserve in the field of living systems using a crucial technology “Biocatalytic, Biosynthetic and Biosensor Technologies” (policy event). 2007-2012.
15. The Biological Diversity Programme of the Russian Academy of Sciences Presidium. 2009-2010.
16. Special-purpose programme supporting interdisciplinary projects carried out at institutions of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Reg. № 09-М-134-2001. Project: “Development of Biocatalytic Systems on the Basis of Immobilized Rhodococcus Cells Suitable for Directed Transformation of Plant Sterols”. 2009-2011.
17. Federal Target Programme “Academic and Teaching Staff in the Innovative Russia” for 2009-2013. Event 1.1 – VII priority. Government contract № 02.740.11.0386. 2009-2011.
Participation in International Projects
1. Royal Society Grant p750/LJH for “Fundamental and Applied Research on Hydrocarbon-degrading Bacteria of the genus Rhodococcus”. 1994-1997.
2. International NATO Programme “The NATO Sciences Programme and Cooperation Partners”, Network Infrastructure Grant NIG 60787. 1997-1999. (Russian team, coordinator)
3. The Ford Motor Company «Green Curtain» Grant in the field of environment protection “Conservation and Environmental Grants”, 2001-2002. (Russian team, coordinator)
4. International NATO Programme “The NATO Sciences Programme and Cooperation Partners”. Collaborative Linkage Grant ESP.NR.NRCLG 982051. 2007-2008. (Russian team, coordinator)
5. 7th EU Framework Programme (FP7). International project BRIO – European-Russian initiative to establish a network of microbiological resource centres (Banking Rhizosphere Micro-Organisms: European-Russian Initiative to set up a network of rhizosphere microbiological resources centres). 2010-2012. (Russian team, coordinator)
Current Research Activities
Further elaboration of the basic database on the biology of the genus Rhodococcus in natural biocenoses, methodological approaches to secured conservation of the Regional Specialized Collection of Alkanotrophic Microorganisms gene pool (acronym IEGM; World Federation for Culture Collections #768) using a conservation method for cells with an induced alkanotrophic metabolism, improvement and expansion of the database on biotechnologically potential strains.
An optimal model for species differentiation of phenotypically related Rhodococcus species was developed. New data were obtained on structural and functional changes in Rhodococcus cells under induced alkanotrophic metabolism as well as on the mechanisms of rhodococci adhesion to hydrophobic surfaces; laboratory-scale multi-purpose biocatalysts were developed using immobilized Rhodococcus cells, also the problem of their secured functional stability was successfully solved. Potential applications for the developed biocatalysts are production of industrially valuable biosynthetic products using hydrocarbon material, bioremediation for oil- and oil product-contaminated ecosystems, and production of biologically active intermediates for pharmacological industry.
Using the potential of the alkanotrophic collection, a remediation biotechnology for oil-contaminated soils under cold climates was developed and is considered useful for cleaning-up of technogenically disturbed sites, removal of oil sludge pits and flare stacks at oil-extracting sites, elimination of accidental oil spill consequences, cleaning-up of contaminated sites at both oil storage area and petroleum refineries (RF Patent 2193464).
Academic and other Awards
Medal of the Order "For Services to the Motherland", second degree. 1999.
First Degree Diploma of the Laureate of the Individual Award at Perm Krai, 2000.
The Russian Federation Government Prize in Science and Technology, 2008.
Diplomas awarded by the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Trade Union of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Perm Krai Government.
Total Number of Publications
165 research papers
2 study guides
1. Ivshina I.B., Oborin A.A., Nesterenko O.A., Kasumova S.A. Bacteria of the genus Rhodococcus from ground water of the oil-field areas of the Perm Cis-Ural region // Microbiology. 1981. Vol 50.P. 709-717. (in Russian)
2. Ivshina I.B., Kevorkov N.N., Koblova I.V., Nesterenko O.A., Kvasnikov Y.I. Identification of bacteria of the genus Rhodococcus using immunodiffusion method // ibidem. 1982. Vol.51. P. 636-641. (in Russian)
3. Ivshina I.B., Pshenichnov R.A., Oborin A.A. Propane oxidizing Rhodococcus / Educational and Scientific Centre of the USSR Academy of Sciences. Sverdlovsk, 1987. 125 p. (in Russian)
4. Ivshina I.B., Kamenskikh T.N., Kuyukina M.S., Richkova M.I., Shadrin O.A., Chumakov O.B. Methods of conservation of Rhodococcus spp. cultures and their application at the specialized collection of alkanotrophic Rhodococcus // Microbiology. 1994. Vol. 63. P. 118-128. (in Russian)
5. Ivshina I.B., Kuyukina M.S. Selective extraction of propane oxidizing Rhodococcus using antibiotic compounds // ibidem. 1997. Vol. 66. P. 494-500. (in Russian)
6. Ivshina I.B., Kuyukina M.S., Philp J.C., Christofi N. Oil desorption from mineral and organic materials using biosurfactant complexes produced by Rhodococcus species // World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 1998. Vol. 14. Р. 711-717. (in English)
7. Ivshina I.B., Kuyukina M.S., Ritchkova M.I., Philp J.C., Cunningham C.J., Christofi N. Oleophilic biofertilizer based on a Rhodococcus surfactant complex for the bioremediation of crude oil-contaminated soil // Contaminated Soil Sediment and Water. 2001. Vol. 4. P. 20-24. (in English)
8. Christofi N., Ivshina I.B. Microbial surfactants and their use in field studies of soil remediation. A Review // J. Appl. Microbiol. 2002. Vol. 93. P. 915-929. (in English)
9. Ivshina I.B., Grishko V.V., Nogovitsina Y.M., Kukina T.P., Tolstikov G.A. Biotransformation of b‑sitosterol and its complex ethers by actinobacteria of the genus Rhodococcus // Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology. 2005. Vol. 41, No. 6. P. 626-633. (in English)
10. Ivshina I.B., Richkova M.I., Vikhareva Y.V., Chekryshkina L.A., Mishenina I.I. Catalysis of the biodegradation of unusable medicines by alkanotrophic rhodococci // Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology. 2006. Vol. 42, No. 4. P. 392-395. (in English)
11. Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B., Serebrennikova M.K., Krivoruchko A.V., Podorozhko E.A., Ivanov R.V., Lozinsky V.I. Petroleum-contaminated water treatment in a fluidized-bed bioreactor with immobilized Rhodococcus cells // International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation. 2009. Vol. 63. P. 427-432. (in English)
12. Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B. Application of Rhodococcus in bioremediation of contaminated environments //Microbiology Monographs / ed. A. Steinbuchel. Springer-Verlag, Dordrecht, London, New York, 2010. Vol. 16. Р. 231-262. (in English)
13. Elkin A.A., Grishko V.V., Ivshina I.B. Oxidative biotransformation of thioanisole by Rhodococcus rhodochrous IEGM 66 cells // Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology. 2010. Vol. 46, No. 6. P. 586-591. (in English)
14. Nogovitsina Ye.M., Grishko V.V., Ivshina I.B. Biocatalytic synthesis of pharmacology perspective stigmast-4-en-3-one using rhodococci cells // Russian Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry, 2011. Vol. 37, No. 5. P. 626-633. (in English)
15. Mukhutdinova A.N., Richkova M.I., Vikhareva E.V., Ivshina I.B. Respiration activity of Rhodococcus erythropolis IEGM 767 in acetaminophen biodegradation // Herald of Medical Academic Science. 2011. Vol. 4. P. 179-181. (in Russian)
16. Tarasova E.V., Grishko V.V., Ivshina I.B. Biocatalytic production of 3-oxobetulin, a key intermediate in the synthesis of pharmacologically active compounds // Herald of Medical Academic Science. 2011. Vol. 4. P. 204-206. (in Russian)