Maria S. Kuyukina
15 Bukireva, Perm 614990, Russia
Perm State University
Faculty of Biological Sciences
Department of Microbiology and Immunology
Tel., Fax, e-mail
Date of Birth
Specialization “Biology”, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Perm State University, 1988.
Academic Degrees and Titles
Candidate of Biology, 1997, Institute of Ecology and Genetics of Microorganisms of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IEGM UB RAS).
Senior Research Fellow, 2000.
Doctor of Biology, 2006, IEGM UB RAS.
Stages of Professional Career
Engineer, IEGM UB RAS, 1988-1991.
Junior Research Fellow, IEGM UB RAS, 1991-1997.
Senior Research Fellow, IEGM UB RAS, 1997-2003.
Leading Research Fellow, IEGM UB RAS, 2003 till present.
Reader, Perm State University, 2005-2007.
Professor, Perm State University. 2007 to present date.
Membership in Scientific Councils and other State and Public Associations
Chairman of Scientific Council at IEGM UB RAS.
• Dissertation Council awarding Doctor degree at IEGM UDRS,
• Interregional Microbiological Organization “Microbiological Society”,
• editorial board of the journal “Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology”,
• editorial board of the journal “Perm University Herald”. Series: Biology.
Scientific Project Management
1. NATO ENVIR.CRG Grant 972277 for the project “Controlling Foaming in Activated Sludge Plants”. 1999-2000.
2. Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Programme of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS Presidium) “Physical-Chemical Biology”. Project: “Biosynthesis of Surface-Active Compounds Induced by Alkanotrophic Rhodococcus”. 2006-2008.
3. Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Programme of the RAS Presidium “Molecular and Cell Biology”. Project: “Biosynthesis of Surface-Active Compounds as a Mechanism of Rhodococcus Adaptation to Assimilate Hydrophobic Substrates”. 2006-2008.
4. Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Programme of the RAS Presidium “Molecular and Cell Biology”. Project: “Biosynthetic Mechanisms and Functional Characteristics of Biosurfactants from Non-Pathogenic Actinobacteria”. 2009-2011
Participation in International Projects
1. The Royal Society p750/LJH Grant for the project “Fundamental and Applied Research on Hydrocarbon-degrading Bacteria of the Genus Rhodococcus”. 1994-1997. (person in charge).
2. International NATO Programme “The NATO Sciences Programme and Cooperation Partners”, Network Infrastructure Grant NIG 60787. 1997-1999. (Executive researcher).
3. International NATO Programme “The NATO Sciences Programme and Cooperation Partners”, Grant ENVIR.CRG 972277 for the project “Controlling Foaming in Activated Sludge Plants”. 1999-2000. (Russian team, coordinator).
4. The «Green Curtain» of Ford Motor Company Grant in the sphere of environment preservation “Conservation and Environmental Grants”, 2001-2002. (Person in charge).
5. INTAS 01-2151 Grant for the project “Approaches to the Bioremediation of Oil-Contaminated Soils and Crude Oil Wastes Using Immobilised Hydrocarbon-Oxidising Bacteria”. 2002-2005. (Russian team, coordinator).
6. 7th EU Framework Programme (FP7). International project BRIO – European-Russian initiative to establish a network of microbiological resource centres (Banking Rhizosphere Micro-Organisms: European-Russian Initiative to set up a network of rhizosphere microbiological resources centres). 2010-2012. (Executive researcher).
Current Research Activities
Studies on ecological, physiological, genetic and biochemical properties of Rhodococcus actinobacteria and evaluation of potential industrial applications of these microorganisms in biotechnology and environment protection.
Possibilities for optimization of oxidative biotransformation process of hydrocarbon compounds using non-pathogenic Rhodococcus immobilized on organic carriers were proved. Stable multifunctional biocatalysts based on polyvinyl alcohol cryogel- and hydrophobized sawdust-fixed rhodococcal cells were developed to produce target products of biosynthesis using hydrocarbon raw material, for bioremediation of oil-contaminated ecosystems, and production of bioactive intermediates for pharmaceutical industry. New data was obtained on functional versatility of Rhodococcus-synthesized biosurfactants pertaining to their role in liquid hydrocarbon utilization and adaptation of bacterial cells to extreme environments. A mathematical model of the oil-washing process from oil- and oil product-contaminated soils using biosurfactants was developed; patent were taken out on the biopreparation and a bioremediation method for soils contaminated with oil and oil products in frigid climate.
Academic and other Awards
Demidov Young Scientists’ Award, 1997.
Russian Federation Government Prize in the field of science and technology, 2008.
Honorary Mention of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 1999.
Honourable Diploma of the Ural Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, 2001.
Honourable Diploma of the Presidium of Perm Regional Council of
All-Union Society of Inventors and Innovators, 2006.
Total Number of Publications
137 scientific articles.
5 chapters in collective monographs.
1. Bell K.S., Kuyukina M.S., Heidbrink S., Philp J.C., Aw D.W.J., Ivshina I.B., Christofi N. Identification and environmental detection of Rhodococcus species by 16S rDNA-targeted PCR // Journal of Applied Microbiology. 1999. Vol. 87. P. 472-480. (in English)
2. Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B., Richkova M.I., Chumakov O.B. The influence of cell lipids’ composition on the production of non-specific resistance of antibiotics of alkanotrophic Rhodococcus // Microbiology. 2000. Vol. 69, issue 1. P. 62-69. (in Russian)
3. Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B., Philp J.C., Christofi N., Dunbar S.A., Ritchkova M.I. Recovery of Rhodococcus biosurfactants using methyl-tertiary butyl ether extraction // Journal of Microbiological Methods. 2001. Vol. 46. P. 149-156. (in English)
4. Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B., Ritchkova M.I., Philp J.C., Cunningham J.C., Christofi N. Bioremediation of crude oil-contaminated soil using slurry-phase biological treatment and land farming techniques // Soil Sediment Contamination. 2003. Vol. 12. P. 85-99. (in English)
5. Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B., Makarov S.O., Litvinenko L.V., Cunningham C.J., Philp J.C. Effect of biosurfactants on crude oil desorption and mobilization in the soil system // Environment International. 2005. Vol. 31, № 2. P. 155-161. (in English)
6. Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B., Krivoruchko A.V., Podorozhko E.A., Lozinsky V.I., Cunningham C., Philp J.C. Novel biocatalysts based on immobilized Rhodococcus cells for oil-contaminated water purification // Journal of Biotechnology. 2007. Vol. 131. P. 99-100. (in English)
7. Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B., Osipenko M.A., Nyashin Y.I., Tyuleneva A.N., Serebrennikova M.K. On control of the form of free surface of liquid while modeling the process of immobilization of bacteria cells on solid carrier // Russian Journal of Biomechanics. 2009. Vol. 13. № 2(44). P. 10-14. (in Russian)
8. Kuyukina, M.S., Rubtsova E.V., Ivshina I.B., Ivanov R.V., Lozinsky V.I. Selective adsorption of hydrocarbon-oxidizing Rhodococcus cells in a column with hydrophobized poly(acrylamide) cryogel // Journal of Microbiological Methods. 2009. Vol. 79. P. 76-81. (in English)
9. Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B. Rhodococcus biosurfactants: biosynthesis, properties and potential applications // Microbiology Monographs / Ed. A. Steinbuchel. Springer-Verlag, Dordrecht, London, New York. 2010. Vol. 16. Р. 292-313. (in English)
10. Kuyukina, M.S., Ivshina I.B., Rubtsova E.V., Ivanov R.V., Lozinsky V.I. Adsorptive immobilization of rhodococcal cells in hydrophobized derivatives of wide-pore poly(acrylamide) cryogel // Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology. 2011. V.47. P. 158-164. (in English)
11. Korostina O.A., Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B., Kostina L.V., Osipenko M.A., Nyashin Yu.I. Mathematical modeling of the heavy metal-contaminated soil washing process using biosurfactant // Russian Journal of Biomechanics. 2011. V. 15, No. 3(53). P. 75-91. (in English)
12. Stukova G.I., Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B. antiadhesive activity of rhodococcus biosurfactant against gram negative and gram positive bacteria // Herald of Ural Medical Academic Science. No. 4/1 (38). P. 55-56. (in Russian)
13. Rubtsova E.V. , Krivoruchko A.V. , Nogovitsina E.M., Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B. Adhesive properties of rhodococcus tn5 mutants // Herald of Ural Medical Academic Science. No. 4/1 (38). P. 49-50. (in Russian)
14. Gein S.V., Kuyukina M.S., Ivshina I.B., Baeva T.A., Chereshnev V.A. In vitro cytokine stimulation assay for glycolipid biosurfactant from Rhodococcus ruber: role of monocyte adhesion // Cytotechnology. 2011. DOI: 10.1007/s10616-011-9384-3. (in English)