Boris M. Osovetskiy
15 Bukireva, Perm 614990, Russia
Perm State University
Faculty of Geology
Department of Mineralogy and Petrography
Phone, Fax, e-mail
Date of Birth
Perm State University, Faculty of Geology. 1961.
Post-graduate study. Perm State University. 1965-1967.
Doctorate Course. Perm State University. 1981-1983.
Academic Degrees and Titles
Candidate of Geological-Mineralogical Sciences. 1968. Perm State University.
Doctor of Geological-Mineralogical Sciences. 1985. All-Union Geological Institute, Leningrad.
Stages of Professional Career
Assistant Lecturer, Faculty of Geology, Perm State University. 1967-1970.
Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Geology, Perm State University. 1970-1972.
Reader, Perm State University. 1974-1986.
Senior Research Fellow, Perm State University. 1981-1983.
Professor, Perm State University. 1987 – until present date.
Head of Department of Mineralogy and Petrography, Perm State University. 1969-1970; 1998-2008.
Dean of Faculty of Geology, Perm State University. 1984-1987.
Pro-rector on Research, Perm State University. 1987-1997.
Head of Laboratory of Mineralogical-Petrographic Research of Perm University Natural Sciences Institute. 2006 – until present date.
Membership in Scientific Councils and other State and Public Associations
Member of Dissertation Councils of Perm State University and Urals State Mining University (Ekatherinburg).
Member of Geological Faculty Scientific Councils and Perm University Natural Sciences Institute Scientific Council.
Academician of the Russian Ecological Academy. Since 1994.
Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences. Since 1996.
Scientific Project Management
1. RFBR Grant «Evolution of the Vyatka-Kama Basin Mesozoic-Cenozoic deposition». 2007-2009.
2. Detecting promising areas for bed-rock diamond discovery. The Perm Krai Administration. 2005-2006.
3. Rationale for diamondiferous kimberlites exploration areas for the Perm Krai Administration. 2007-2010.
4. Mineralogical and petrographic study of promising sites for diamond exploration. CJSC «Minas-Iraklion», Ufa. 2008.
5. Mineralogical and petrographic study of Tykotlovsk Ore region. LLC «GEOLINE», Perm. 2007-2010.
6. Mineralogical study of Boneng tin ore field (Laos). Joint Russian-Lao Company «NAMIKOR», Vientiane. 2009.
7. Mineralogical study of Krasnovishersk diamondiferous deposits. CJSC «Uralalmaz», Krasnovishersk. 2009-2010.
Participation in International Projects
1. Subprogramme 384 «Cosmic Spherules» of the programme «International Geological Correlation». 1996-2003. A report on anthropogenic spherules at the International Symposium «New Tools for Global Correlation», Tallinn (Estonia). 1997.
2. Continuing education as a «visiting professor» at Oxford University. Several presentations on part-time education and ecological research at Perm State University. 1991.
3. A joint project on ecological problems of Oxford’s twin cities. 1997. Member of Perm official delegation. A report on the environmental situation in Perm city-industrial agglomeration.
4. International project «River Paleovalleys: Evolution and Deposits of Natural Resources». 2005-2009.
5. An organizer and employee of Italo-Russian Institute of Education and Ecological Research, established with the active participation of Vice-Rector on Research of Perm State University in 1995. Scientific reports at two meetings (Moscow, Moscow State University, 1999; Perm, Perm State University, 2009).
Current Research Activities
Development of study on alluvium geology and mineralogy. Established a famous Russian Scientific school of alluvium mineralogy. Developed theoretical basics of fluviatile mineral migration and concentration. Supervised 6 defended Candidate Dissertations.
Main areas of research at present are sedimentology (terrigenous rock material composition study methods are being developed to reconstruct their formation history); mineralogy (new express-methods for study of mineral properties and typomorphic features); mineral prediction and exploration (gold, diamonds, platinum etc.); geo-ecology (methods of geo-ecological studies); nanomineralogy (nanomineralogical study of gold and diamonds).
Academic and other Awards
Title «Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation». 1997.
Diploma «Honored Professor of Perm State University». 2009.
Total Number of Publications
Scientific articles – 285.
Monographs – 16.
Textbooks (Study guides) – 2.
1. Osovetskiy B.M. Heavy Fraction of Alluvium. Irkutsk: Publishing house of Irkutsk University, 1986. 259 p. (In Russian)
2. Osovetskiy B.M. Settling of Minerals in Heavy Liquids (new research methods). Irkutsk: Publishing house of Irkutsk University, 1992. 140 p. (In Russian)
3. Osovetskiy B.M. Detailed Granulometry of Alluvium / Perm State University, Perm, 1993. 343 p. (In Russian)
4. Osovetskiy B.M. Lunev B.S. Small-sized Diamonds of the Urals / Perm State University, Perm, 1996. 128 p. (In Russian)
5. Osovetskiy B.M. Geochemical Researches of Heavy Minerals / Perm State University, Perm, 2003. 192 p. (In Russian)
6. Osovetskiy B.M. Mesozoic-Cenozoic Mineralogy of the Kama Region / Perm State University, Perm, 2004. 292 p. (In Russian)
7. Osovetskiy B.M. Ilaltdinov I.Ya. The Vyatka-Kama Depression Jurassic Deposit Gold / Perm State University. Perm, 2009. 230 p. (In Russian)
8. Osovetskiy B.M. Placer-forming Minerals of the Vyatka-Kama Depression / Perm State University. Perm, 2011. 250 p. (In Russian)
1. Osovetskiy B.M. On Correlation between Alluvium Deposit Heavy Fraction Composition and Granulometry // Lithology and Natural Resources. 1974. № 1. P. 96-109. (In Russian)
2. Osovetskiy B.M. Method of Determination of Fine Mineral Particle Density by Settling Velocity in Bromoform // Notes of WMO. 1976. P. 105, issue. 3. P. 392-396. (In Russian)
3. Osovetskiy B.M. Material Composition of Recent Alluvium from the Kuban River and its Formation Conditions // Lithology and Natural Resources. 1977. № 1. P. 66-80. (In Russian)
4. Osovetskiy B.M. Оn Methods of Treatment of Samples with Small Grains of Minerals // Izvestiya Vysshikh Uchebnykh Zavedenii, Geologiya i Razvedka. 1979. № 4. P. 112-116. (In Russian)
5. Osovetskiy B.M., Lunev B.S. The Urals Placers with Fine Gold // Izvestiya VUZov. Gornyy Zhurnal. 1994. № 2 (6). P. 51-62. (In Russian)
6. Osovetskiy B.M. Rare-earth and Tantalum-Niobium Mineralization of the Vyatka-Kama Basin Mesozoic-Cenozoic Deposits // Lithosphere. 2010. № 2. P. 62-74. (In Russian)
7. Osovetskiy B.M. Lithological Peculiarities of Middle Jurassic Deposits // Lithosphere. 2011. № 4. P. 3-19. (In Russian)
8. Osovetskiy B.M. Perspectives of Complex Utilization of Raw Material Deposits in Vyatka-Kama Depression // Izvestiya VUZov. Gornyy Zhurnal. 2011. № 6. P. 32-36. (In Russian)