Basic Divisions: Department of Russian Language and Stylistics.
Brief Description of Research Activities
The trend was established in the 1960s under the guidance of Professor M.N. Kozhina who was the first Russian scholar to develop the questions of language functioning and communicative Linguistics and formed the basis for the further linguistic paradigm. The scientific activity of the trend led to the following significant discoveries: the Theory of Functional Styles; certain extralinguistic factors determining the style of speech; new scientific line of research – Speech Studies which united modern profound linguistic discoveries and developed a range of problems in the aspect of study of the Russian language status in a developing society; mechanisms of text formation; multi-aspect studying of texts representing valuable communication spheres – scientific, business, mass communication, etc.
The object of the research within the trend is the Russian literary language in the aspect of functional differentiation, the subject of the research is speech systemacy of functional styles determined by extralinguistic factors and semantic structure of the texts representing various spheres of communication.
Due to the profound results in the sphere of regularities of language functioning Perm Stylistic School has been recognised as the All-Russian centre for investigation of underlying regularities of thinking and their reflection in the text.
The integral communication linguistic theory which was developed within the trend, is a unique fundamental and methodological basis for the Russian language functioning study in the XXth century and solving the acute and significant problems of language personality formation.
Selected Publications Characterising Scientific Research Trend
1. Sketches of the history of scientific style of the Russian literary language in the XVIII-XXth centuries / ed. by M.N. Kozhina: 3 volumes. Vol. 1: Scientific style development in the aspect of linguistic units functioning. Perm, Perm State University publishing house, 1994. Vol. 2. Part 1: Scientific text stylistics (general parameters). Perm, Perm State University publishing house, 1996. Part 2: Scientific text categories: functional and stylistic aspect. Perm, Perm State University Press, 1998.
2. Kozhina M.N. Discourse Analysis and Functional Stylistics in the aspect of Speech Studies // Text – Discourse – Style. Saint-Petersburg: Saint-Petersburg University of Economics and Finances Press, 2004. pp. 9-32. (In Russian)
3. Kozhina M.N. Speculations on the question of Functional Stylistics and discourse research correlation // Stylistyka-XIV: Stylistyka i Kožyna / ed. by St. Gajda. Opole, 2005. pp. 61-75. (In Russian)
4. Stylistic Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Russian Language // ed. by M.N. Kozhina. Moscow: Flinta: Science. 1st Edition. 2003; 2nd Edition. 2006. 696 p. (In Russian)
5. Kozhina M.N., Duskaeva L.R., Salimovsky V.A. Stylistics of the Russian language. Moscow: Flinta: Science, 2008; 2nd Edition. 2010. 464 p. (In Russian)
6. Kotyurova M.P., Bazenova E.A. Norms of scientific speech: text and its editing. Moscow: Flinta: Science, 2008. 280 p. (In Russian)
7. Karpova T.B., Bazenova E.A., Duskaeva L.R. The Russian language norms in tables and tests: Study Guide / T.B. Karpova, E.A. Bazhenova, L.R. Duskaeva. Perm State University. Perm: “Merchant Tarasov’s Print Shop, Ltd.” Press, 2009. 224 p. (In Russian)
8. Kotyurova M.P. Stylistics of scientific speech: Study Guide. Moscow: “Academy” Press, 2010. 240 p. (In Russian)
9. Solovyeva N.V. Scientific dispute: Study Guide / N.V. Solovyeva. Perm, Perm State University Press, 2010. 100 p. (In Russian)
10. Stereotype and creativity in the text: inter-university collection of papers / ed. by M.P. Kotyurova. Perm, Perm State University, 1998- 2011. Iss. 1-15. (In Russian)
The Most Significant Fundamental and Applied Research Projects
1. 2005-2006 – The grant of Russian Humanitarian Science Foundation № 05-04-82408 а/U “Scientific discourse in the aspect of stereotype and creativity”.
2. 2005 – The grant of Russian Humanitarian Science Foundation № 05-04-82-480 г/U “Problems of language functioning in various spheres of communication”.
3. 2003-2005 – The grant of Russian Humanitarian Science Foundation № 03-04-00240 а/Т “Russian speech status in the Kama Region and strategies of improvement”.
4. 2007-2008 – The grant of Russian Humanitarian Science Foundation № 07-04-83403 а/U “Communicative component in the image of the Perm Region”.
5. 2008-2010 – Analytical Departmental Target Programme of High School Scientific Potential Development “Investigation of functional dynamics of Russian in the XXIst century”.
6. 2009-2010 – The grant of Russian Humanitarian Science Foundation № 09-04-82408 а/U “Perm political discourse in Internet from the linguistic point of view”.
7. 2011 – present time – Analytical Departmental Target Programme of Higher School Scientific Potential Development “Development of Theory of Functional Dynamics of the Russian Language”.
Training of Researchers (Post-graduate and Doctoral Programmes):
Post-graduate Programme, specialties10.02.01 “Russian Language” and 10.02.19 “Language Theory”. Conferring the degree of Candidate of Philology.
Since 1970 8 scholars have been conferred the degree of Doctor of Science and 36 scholars have been conferred the degree of Candidate of Science.
International Research and Educational Activities
Participation in the International Scientific Programme “Synthesis of Slavic Stylistics”: supervisor – St. Gajda, Professor, Head of the Institute of the Polish Language at University of Opole (Poland). Co-supervisor – M.N. Kozhina, Professor.
Publications in the international journals “Stylistika” (Poland) and “Stil” (Serbia), international symposium books “Stereotype and creativity in the text” (Perm, Iss. 1-15, 1998-2011), “Philological notes” (Perm – Ljubljana-Skopje, Iss. 1-6, 2002-2008).
The efficiency of scientific cooperation is seen in the promotion of Communication Linguistic Theory abroad and strengthening of positions of Perm Stylistic School in European Linguistics.