Vladimir V. Abashev
15 Bukireva, Perm 614990, Russia
Perm State University
Faculty of Philology
Department of Journalism
Phone, Fax, e-mail
Date of Birth
1978 – Perm State University, Faculty of Philology.
1985 – Post-graduate Programme, Faculty of Philology, Moscow State University.
2000 – Doctoral Programme, Faculty of Philology, Ural State University.
Аcademic Degrees and Titles
1986 – Candidate of Philology, Moscow State University.
2000 – Doctor of Philology, Ural State University.
Stages of Professional Career
1978 – 1985 – Junior Research Fellow, Scientific and Research Sector, Perm State University.
1986 – 2002 – Assistant Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader, Professor of Department of Russian Literature, Faculty of Philology, Perm State University.
1991 – 1996 – Head of Department of Russian Literature, Faculty of Philology, Perm State University.
1996 – 1999 – Doctoral Studies, Department of Russian Literature of the XXth century, Faculty of Philology, Ural State University.
2002 – present time – Head of Department of Journalism, Faculty of Philology, Perm State University.
Membership in Academic Councils, other State and Public Associations
Member of Dissertation Council D 212.189.11 of Perm State University, Philological Sciences.
Member of the Perm Region Public Chamber.
Head of Perm Public Cultural Fund “Yuryatin”.
Research Project Management
1. 2007 – 2008 – the project “Vsevolodo-Vilva at the crossroads of Russian culture” (the grant of the President of the Russian Federation, the Federal Programme for Support of Non-commercial Non-governmental Organisations participating in the development of the Civic Institutions (supervisor of the Programme “Education and culture” – “International Humanitarian Public Fund “Knowledge”, Moscow”)).
2. 2009-2010 – the project “Vsevolodo-Vilva: from a factory settlement to the centre of creative business” (the grant of the President of the Russian Federation, the Federal Programme for Support of Non-commercial Non-governmental Organisations participating in the development of the Civic Institutions (supervisor of the Programme “Education and culture” – “Institute for Civic Society Problems”, Moscow”)).
Participation in International Projects
1. Participation in the international research project “Culture of the Russian province” (jointly with the University of Bergamo).
2. Participation in the project “Les sites de la memoire russe” (“The sites of the Russian memory”) under the guidance of George Nivat.
Current Research Activities
Investigation of the process of development of the Ural geographical poetics in Russian literature and art of the XVIII-XXth centuries; poetics of urban culture in Russian culture.
Academic and other Awards
1997 – Laureate of the Perm Region Contest in the sphere of culture and arts..
2000 – Laureate of the “Minor Booker Prize”.
2001 – Laureate of the Perm Region Contest in the sphere of culture and arts.
2006 – Certificate of Honour of the Ministry of Science and Education.
2008 – Laureate of the Perm Region Contest in the sphere of culture and arts.
Total Number of Publications
Scientific articles – 112.
Monographs – 2.
1. Abashev V.V. Travel to Perm (case study of travel notes of the XIXth century) // Russian literature. 2003. Vol. LIII. pp. 105 – 112. (In Russian)
2. Abashev V.V. The Ural in search of its own individuality (Arkaim in the Ural neo-mythology of the 1990s). // Europa Orientalis. Studi e Ricerche sui Paesi e le Culture dell`est Europeo. XXII. 2003. S.13-23. (In Russian)
3. Abashev V.V. “Luverse was born and grew up in Perm…” (place and text in B. Pasternak’s story) // Geographical panorama of Russian culture. Province and its local texts. Moscow, 2004. pp. 561 – 592. (In Russian)
4. Abashev V.V. “It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power…”: On soul and body in Vladislav Khodasevich’s poetry // Body, spirit and soul in Russian literature and culture. Leib, Geist und Seele in der russischen Literatur und Kultur. WIENER SLAWISTISCHER ALMANACH BAND 54. Wien, 2004. P. 253 – 273. (In Russian; German)
5. Abashev V.V. “What ancient land, what ancient history, what inexhaustible power…”: geographical poetics as a basis for geographical politics // Michael Osorgin: Artist and journalist. Perm, 2006. pp. 197 – 207. (In Russian)
6. Abashev V.V. Perm et ses mythes // Les sites de la memoire russe. T. 1: Geographie de la memoire russe. Paris: Fayard, 2007. pp. 98 – 111. (In French)
7. Abashev V.V. The Ural as a presentiment. Notes on geographical poetics in Boris Pasternak’s works // Voprosy Literatury. 2008. № 4. pp. 125 – 144. (In Russian)
8. Abashev V.V. Travel with doctor Zhivago. Saint-Petersburg: “Mamatov” Press, 2010. 98 p. (In Russian)
9. Abashev A.A. Perm as a text. 2nd Edition, enlarged. Perm, 2008. 496 p. (In Russian)
10. Abashev V.V. Intangible body of the city. Experience of working with the meaning // Anthropological forum. 2010. № 12. pp. 10 – 16. (In Russian)