University Academic Library
The Library collection started since the University foundation – primarily as book donations by classical Russian universities of the early XX century, research institutions, museums, communities and individuals. Among the first donors was the Grand Duke Nikolai Mikhailovich, of the Romanovs Royal Family. The major contributions were made by the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Russian Geographical Society, and in the early Soviet period – by the Ministry of National Education. The oldest University Library book is the Proceedings of Erasmus of Rotterdam (1536).
The Library provides a wide range of information services based on the use of modern telecommunications technology. The University scholars’ publications are transferred into digital format. The Library staff keeps acquiring new electronic publications and transferring the collection of rarities into the scanned format. The users enjoy access to database subscriptions containing current information from Russian and foreign academic sources. The Library is a member of the Russian library consortia.
Equipped with the latest equipment and technologies, the Library offers online loan, open access collections and comfortable facilities. The reading halls include silent zones and interactive space for individuals and group work.
Being involved into University public activity, the Library acts as a communication center, a hub for cultural events and social initiatives, and a key to local issues. The Library runs reading and musical venues, assists scientific conferences and seminars, gathers forums and roundtables, prepares traditional and on-screen exhibitions, introduces books by the University scholars.