Let’s find out the reasons why students from abroad choose Russian Universities! Saida Kasumova, 4th year undergraduate, Faculty of Philosophy and Sociology, Perm State University shares her insights and research on that question:
1. Large selection of universities and educational programs. Her in Russia, there are 741 universities and more than 400 training modules. Such choice fairly attracts those foreign applicants looking for a higher education institution abroad. Russian universities offer more than 650 division modules for bachelors’, masters’, specialists’ and postgraduate studies. Also, the universities organize special preparatory courses for foreign students, including programs for studying the Russian language.
2. Value for money. Russian universities, compared to others worldwide, are popular for their low tuition fees, in comparison with universities in the USA, Canada or UK. According to the standards, set by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation, the cost of a full-time bachelor’s program starts from RUB 83,000 (about $1,100). The cost of education in capital cities such as Moscow and St. Petersburg will be significantly higher than in other regions, for sure. Overall, the level of education available for foreign citizens is optimal, with no compromise in efficiency of education service and level of teaching staff involved.
3. Studying on budget (scholarship availability) remains an important point for many applicants. In 2020, 15,000 budgetary places were allocated for foreign students. Russia is one of the few countries where budget places are provided for foreigners. There are also opportunities to enter the budget or get any other benefits for prize winners in university contests of various kind.
4. Provision of courses of Russian language, that is, a deep study of the language of the host country. On arrival, a foreign citizen, has the opportunity to learn Russian from scratch, and then start studying at local universities. The latter provide preparatory courses allowing to master the basic level of the Russian language, its grammar and rules, as well as expand the knowledge of other related subjects. Preparatory courses help future students to quickly adapt and successfully start their studies since entering the university.
5. The opportunity to get a double degree. In the early 2000s, Russia signed the Bologna Declaration, making a number of commitments to the common educational space of the participating countries. That is, for instance, while studying in Russia, not only a student may get a diploma by a Russian university, but also, by a European one. The Russian diploma is recognized in most countries of the world.
6. Campuses and dormitories. As already noted, there are a considerable number of Russian universities with their own campuses, including dormitories. This attracts many applicants, since it is fairly convenient for a student to reach the class without a delay. At the same time, the appearance of the university also acts as a priority, while making a choice.
7. Easy adaptation for international students. On average, it takes 1 year for a foreign student to adapt, according to those international students studying in Perm (according to PSU research).
Russia is known as a multinational country, with over 180 nationalities speaking more than 200 languages and dialects, with different religions and confessions – the fact that appeals many coming foreigners. Arriving in a country with such a diversity, a foreign student can easily find a friend from his/her own country – not to mention whole ethnic diasporas which are quite active here in Russia.
8. Climate and territory. Russia covers the largest area, globally, which affects its diversity. The advantage is that a young person can choose not only an educational program, but also a comfortable climate and area, upon his/her taste. For example, those who don’t mind rain may choose St. Petersburg, lovers of snow go to Siberia, and those who prefer sun and warmth – go down South. Still, Perm serves all tastes. An opportunity to travel across Russia at favorable prices is also a bonus. Each region has its own beauty and culture, with a support by local universities.
9. Simple interest which should not be denied. Russia remains a popular place of destination, much talked about and covered by media, globally. Based on feedbacks by many international students of Perm universities, some chose Russia as their future country of residence, upon their liking and taste.